Sunday, September 9, 2012

Trip to UT and CA in April and May--Writing Only

So I know we're in September now, but I wanted to put up some pictures from our trip to UT and CA that we took in April and May. We had soo much fun and it was so nice to be able to spend time with my family. I miss them dearly living all the way up here in Washington, and although I like living close to Josh's family, sometimes it reminds me all the more that my kids don't really know my side of the family that well. So I cherish any chance we get to spend some quality time with them. With my little sister Rachel graduating from BYU, it was the perfect opportunity to head back to our alma mater and celebrate with her. Drew also graduated so we also got to see a little of Josh's fam bam while we were there. It was our first time being back since we had graduated and I was so excited to go back, I cannot even tell you. SO excited. It lived up to everything I hoped it would. I would move there right now if I could. We'll see what the future has in store.

Our trip started out with my mom driving all the way up from California with the horse trailer filled with a couch my grandma was giving us. So she came and dropped off the couch and then we all loaded up in their truck and drove to Utah. That was the first real road trip we had taken with the kids and we were a little nervous, but they did great! Hallelujah! We had so much fun eating junk food, talking, and reading--ahem, Joshua. ;) We saw so many cows I think I'm full for the year on cow watching. We stopped and spent the night in Boise and the kids loved being able to finally run around the hotel room. Then we got up the next day and headed to UT. We stopped in Ogden, I think, and ate dinner with some long time family friends. It was so fun to catch up and show off our cute kids to them. They are almost like second parents to me, and it had been awhile since I'd seen them, so it was nice. Then we headed to Provo where we stayed with my sister Cheyanne and her husband Mark. They graciously let us invade their apartment, sleep in their room on their bed, and use their car. It seriously was so much fun staying with them and they were so accommodating.

We went to their ward and it was fun to be back in a BYU student ward. This whole trip was so nostalgic for me. I LOVED going to school at BYU. It's where I found myself and it's where I feel like my life really started. It's also where we fell in love, and it was neat to be able to revisit a lot of the places we went on dates to or places we had walked and gotten to know each other. They have built a lot on campus so some of it was different, but the spirit of that school will always be the same, I hope. It's so different from other campuses in that you can literally feel the spirit there, all the time. It's was so peaceful and revitalizing being on campus again. I remember walking around there with so much purpose just a little while ago. Hurrying to classes or to the library. It was actually nice to be on campus without a test to go take or study for. It was relaxing. We, of course, went to the BYU bookstore and got some new BYU apparel. We visited our old work where Josh and I worked after we got married. We loved our bosses there and it was so much fun to visit them and again, show off our cute kids. I worked there when I was preggo with Soph and so it was cool to show them the fruit of that labor, literally. :) We also went to visit my sister Moriah in Bountiful and took a trip to temple square. I think it's so cool that they live within a few minutes of these beautiful church history sites. Places where so much love and work has gone into, like the Salt Lake Temple. I wish we had had time to do a session, but this trip was jam packed so we didn't. But the kids loved the temple and the visitor's center. And we got some amazing pictures of our family, thanks Moriah!

Rachel's graduation was awesome and again, it reminded me so much of ours and when I waddled across that stage 8 months pregnant and thinking I was going to die from standing so long and being so hot. I really miss that stage in life, when we had the world at our feet. We still do in a sense, but it was all so exciting and new for us. On the brink of true adulthood and having our first child, we were so naive, but so happy to be doing it all. And we still are, both naive and happy. :)

I got to do a little shopping with my sisters, thanks Josh, something I miss probably more than I should. :) I even found a bathing suit that fits, is a one piece, and is cute! I know, impossible, right?! Wrong. Nothing is impossible in UT. :) It was so fun to have all of the sisters in one place again. That hasn't happened in a long time. I even got to see my cousins on my mom's side who I hadn't seen in ages. Family really is so important in life and I don't get to see my side of the fam enough. It's no one's fault, it's just life. But sometimes it sucks. I was so grateful that they did get to witness some amazing things this trip, like Noah taking his first steps. Woohoo children for saving your important milestones til we get to see my family!

Then Josh had to fly home to work, boo! And I helped my family pack up my sister Rachel's entire apartment, since she's a procrastinator and had a lot on her plate, and we all drove to California, yeah for long road trip #2! Again, the children did fairly well. Then we continued the shenanigans in Cali, including but not limited to: horseback riding (which Sophie LOVED, that's my girl), seeing old lifelong friends, staying with my sister Amber and her family, going to Disneyland (what?!), and a slew of other things. Then it was time to head back to good ole Washington, fairly exhausted and missing my hubby so much it hurt.

I get so anxious when I fly with kids, especially 2 by myself, so I always hate when we have to leave, but it all went fairly well. We were so happy to see Josh again and we celebrated by going to Red Lobster. Home never felt so good, but now that it's months later, I want to go back. I miss California and Utah. Parts of my heart will always be there.

Overall, it was such a fun trip and one I wanted to document. So thanks for reading!


No comments: